Sony has unveiled the world's thinnest Plablet with a full HD display at Mobile Asia Expo 2013, Shanghai. Dubbed as the Xperia Z Ultra, the 6.4-inch Phablet sits in-between the Xperia Z and Xperia Tablet Z. The technical details of the Phablet were leaked online last week.
Sony Xperia Z Ultra boasts a 6.4-inch full HD touch screen display with X-Reality and Sony’s unique TRILUMINOS display for mobile. The display also features Sony's OptiContrast panel technology with Sensor on the lens, which delivers razor sharp display even in bright sunlight. It comes with IP55 and IP58 certification for dust and water proof.
The device packs the world’s fastest Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chipset with quad-core Krait 400 processor, which is clocked at 2.2GHz. In terms of memory, it has 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage that can be expanded using a MicroSD card. The Phablet doesn't come with stylus pen, but the super responsive screen with handwriting recognition allows users to write or draw using a pencil, pen or any capacitive stylus. Under the hood it runs on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS.
There's an 8MP auto-focus rear camera with Exmor RS for mobile sensor and face detection. It is capable of recording full HD (1080p) videos at 30fps with HDR. In addition it is equipped with a 2MP front-facing camera with full HD capability.
For cellular connectivity, it has 4G-LTE (100 Mbps), Penta-band 3G-HSPA+ and quad-band GSM. Other connectivity options are Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n), Bluetooth v4.0, NFC, MicroUSB port with MHL, 3.5mm audio jack and GPS with A-GPS support.
Measuring at 6.5mm, Sony Xperia Z Ultra is slightly thicker than the Huawei Ascend P6 (6.18mm). However, it is the slimmest model in the class of Phablet. It houses a 3000mAh battery with STAMINA mode for enhanced battery life.
Sony Xperia Z Ultra Key Specifications:
- Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS
- IP55 and IP58 certification for dust and water proof
- 6.4-inch full HD touch screen TRILUMINOS display with X-Reality
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chipset with 2.2GHz quad-core Krait 400 CPU
- Adreno 330 GPU
- 2GB of RAM
- 16GB of internal storage with up to 64GB MicroSD support
- 8MP auto-focus rear camera with Exmor RS for mobile sensor
- 2MP front-facing camera with full HD capability
- 4G-LTE (100 Mbps), Penta-band 3G-HSPA+ and quad-band GSM
- Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n), Bluetooth v4.0 and NFC
- MicroUSB port with MHL and 3.5mm audio jack
- GPS with A-GPS support
- Dimensions: 179.4 x 92.2 x 6.5mm; 212 g
Sony Xperia Z Ultra will be available in Black, White and Purple colors. It will be launched globally from Q3 of this year. There's no word on the pricing of the device.